Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Minimalist Journey: Day 3

Day3 you’re going to need to set some major time aside for, depending on how much stuff you have maybe even a whole day, take off work, work all plans around this kinda thing. Me, thankfully I only really had to devote my evening to it and it still worked out really well. To do this you’re going to need your Minimalist Tool Kit, or some approximation thereof. This consists of a big cardboard box, inside this box: nothing! You need nothing to prep for this Packing Party you’re going to have except the willpower to go through with it whole-heartedly. On the plus side, now that you have a big empty box, you have something you can use to put all your stuff in. :)
Now, today involves a “Packing Party” because what you’re going to do is, invite over everyone you can that’s willing and able to help, you and all your supportive friends/family are going to pack up everything you own. ALL your stuff, pack it up. The idea is that over the next week you only take out what you need, and at the end you discover how little you really need.  
For me, I didn’t have moving boxes or anything readily available, so I just used my relatively small closet. And at the end of the night, everything was in it, except for say, my dresser and bed, but the dresser is completely empty and has nothing on top of it. I took a bit of time and a good deal of thinking about and feeling about, especially for a few certain items. I used the packing party as a easy way to take inventory of the things I had as well, and decide on what could be taken out of my life right away at the beginning of this journey, which worked out really well to add on to the packing task. By the end of things I had a box that was packed full of books reduced to less than half: an entire box of clothes gone, nearly half my movies gone, and a box and half of other random things that I don’t need at all and don’t even want badly enough to keep... So for the next week, I’ll be living out of my closet…
3 boxes of randomness that I don't have anymore
My Minimalist Closet 


— M.P. Essex

No comments:

Post a Comment